Tuesday, April 24, 2012

It won't be like this for long

As I sat here listening to Pandora, trying to decide what topic I would blog about this morning, the song "It won't be like this for long" by Darius Rucker came on.  If you have not heard it, click here.  I was first introduced to this song my best friend Melissa when she came to visit us a couple weeks after our son was born.  I often think of this song and how I need to cherish every moment I have with my children.  In those very frustrating parents moments it can be hard, but I'm really trying to enjoy every stage my son goes through.
Here is a good example of enjoying our children's stages in life.....



Our ward (church congregation) has a playgroup every week with any and all mothers and their kids.  My friend who is in charge of it plans fun, cute little activities for the kids to do each time.  Last week they had balloons and were decorating plates.  Well, my son (and a few other kids) combined the two activities and started coloring on the balloons.  They are washable markers so it mostly stayed on the kids instead of the balloons.  I wasn't paying super close attention, and next thing I know he has turned into a blue monster :)  My friend felt so bad that he got marker all over himself, but I just looked at him and started laughing!  I mean he had marker in his hair, ALL over his face and arms, and quite a bit on his shirt.  At that point I just thought, "Well, it's over and done with, and it's washable markers.  Who cares-he's having fun."  It really was so hilarious to me.  Sometimes kids just need to get a little dirty, and it's okay.  I sure wish I could always remember to have this kind of attitude.  If I could keep this happy attitude I'm sure I'd be a less stressed out Mom.  
Now, I'm not saying it's okay to just always let your kids run free and get super messy/dirty, but sometimes we need to let loose and not worry about it.  A little dirt don't hurt, right?  So next time your child is coloring and it ends up that most of the coloring occured on their body instead of the paper, or they come inside after playing outside completely dirty with grass stains, and they look up at you with that big happy smile, just smile back :)  Clothes can be washed, children can be bathed, but memories cannot be repeated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment